OCTOBER 2017 RECREATIONAL DIVISION ONLINE BULLETIN
IMPORTANT CALENDAR REMINDERS
September 27 – October 1: RWB Company presents The Princess and the Goblin
October 1: Last day for withdrawals and class changes
October 1: Manitoba Dance Day (RD Classes running)
October 4: Deadline to pay for The View Dance Convention
October 9:Thanksgiving – no RD classes
October 21: The View Dance Convention
October 31: Halloween (RD Classes running)
The Manitoba Hydro Satellite Programs are an extension of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School’s Recreational Division and offer dance programming to students in rural Manitoba. This year we are running dance programs in Altona (taught by Emily Bergen), St. Malo (taught by Lisa Brooks) and Eriksdale (taught by Lisa Brooks and Chelsea Humble). The RWB School Recreational Division would like to extend a huge thank you to Manitoba Hydro for their continued support of this program and to the volunteer coordinators in each community who donate countless hours to ensure these programs run successfully.
Hallowe’en at the RWB School
This year, Hallowe’en falls on a Tuesday. Students are welcome to wear their costumes to class to celebrate the event during the week leading up to the event (October 25 – 31). This being said, we ask that parents ensure costumes do not restrict movement and allow your child to dance without hurting others. Props and masks will not be allowed in class.
The View Dance Convention
The RWB School Recreational Division will be attending The View Dance Convention on October 21st. The View is an exciting single day convention that provides students the opportunity to participate in classes with working choreographers in the dance industry.
All Jazz, Tap and Hip Hop Dance Ensemble students are encouraged to participate at this convention*. Students in Level 4 and up are also invited to register for this exciting event! Registration deadlines and fees will be emailed to all applicable students.
*Jazz Dance Ensemble students are required to attend one convention per year, as per the commitment policy.
Parking at the RWB
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is pleased to be able to offer our Recreational Division students discounted parking in our Parkade located adjacent to the RWB building off of Edmonton Street. Students and parents will be able to park in the RWB Parkade for $2 when Recreational Division classes are scheduled.
How to receive discounted parking (VALID ONLY from September 10, 2017 to June 14, 2018):
- Pull a ticket from the machine upon entry to the RWB Parkade
- Come to the RWB Reception on the first floor to pay for your $2 parking where you will receive a pass to exit
- When exiting the Parkade, provide the machine with 2 tickets. 1st the ticket you received upon entry, and 2nd the discounted the ticket you received from the School Office.
- A cash-only system will be in place for purchases of 1-9 tickets. Families wishing to purchase multiple tickets of (10-30) can do so by cash, credit card, or debit.
2017-18 Parking Cards for MTS Center Event Nights:
- All registered students will be issued an official 2017-18 RWB Parking Card (a maximum of 2 cards will be issued per student) from RWB Reception upon request. RWB Parking Cards are non-transferable.
- On an event night, parents and students wishing to park in the RWB Parkade at the discounted rate can do so (space permitting) by showing their assigned pass to the parking attendant. A ticket can be pulled from the machine as described above upon entry, and payment can proceed as described above.
- Students and parents unable to provide their assigned pass to the parking attendant will be required to pay full event parking fare, accepted in cash only.
- Damaged parking passes can be replaced by producing/returning the original pass to the RWB School Office to receive a replacement.
- Lost RWB Parking Cards may be replaced for a fee of $100.
Parking in the RWB Drive Through/Fire Lane:
- Beginning immediately, all vehicles left unattended in the RWB Drive Through/Fire Lane will be towed. Vehicle owners will be responsible for any charges or damages associated with their vehicle being towed from RWB property. Warnings will not be issued.
We look forward to providing you with this convenient parking option, and encourage all parents and students to take advantage of this exclusive opportunity for RWB students and parents.
The RWB building is not only a School, but also a place of business. While in the building, students, parents, and siblings are asked to respect the shared space and keep noise levels to a minimum. Quiet activities are permitted in the waiting areas; the tables in the Atrium are available for students to complete their school work and provide a clean environment to eat their meals while waiting for classes. Students and parents are encouraged to share the space appropriately. If you are not using the table, please allow others to use it.
Students are not permitted to be on the 4th floor at any time. Students whose classes are scheduled on the 4th floor should remain in the Atrium (2nd floor) until 5 minutes before their class begins at which time they should take the stairs to the 4th floor. All students Level 2 and lower are to meet their teacher in the Atrium and they will be escorted to the 4th floor. At the end of their classes they are to make their way back to the Atrium.
Parents are asked to refrain from observing classes on the 2nd floor from the 3rd floor balcony. This can be distracting for the students and teacher. Many of the studios have small windows on the doors for parents to catch a brief look; however that too can be distracting for prolonged periods of time. We invite you to come right into the studio in November for our Fall Parent Observation class. We will be happy to show you everything your children are doing!
Due to privacy protection regulations, parents are not permitted to take pictures or video any portion of their child’s class. Parents are welcome to take pictures of their children in the studio by themselves or with the teacher AFTER the class if time permits.
The school office would also like to remind any students who have not submitted their Manitoba Health numbers and any other pertinent information to do so as soon as possible.