APRIL 2018 RECREATIONAL DIVISION BULLETIN
IMPORTANT CALENDAR REMINDERS
April 2 RD Classes resume
April 4 ExplorAbility Session 3
April 8 Cecchetti Exam rehearsals
April 8 Last day for Sunday Movers & Shakers II
April 14 Last day for Saturday Movers & Shakers II
April 14 Last day to make-up classes (with the exception of adult classes and ITP)
April 10-16 Cecchetti Ballet examinations
April 19-21 Dance Festival Preview
RWB SCHOOL YEAR-END RECITALS: DANCE SPECTRUM
Our year-end dance showcases celebrate the wonderful work of the RD students in three performances on June 16th and 17th!
Dance Spectrum #1 – Saturday, June 16 – 6:30pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Dance Spectrum #2 – Sunday, June 17 – 1:00pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Dance Spectrum #3 – Sunday, June 17 – 6:30pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Tickets will be available Wednesday, April 18 @ 10AM through the RWB Customer Service Office at 380 Graham Avenue, online at rwb.org, or by calling 204.956.2792.
Please note that students who are in only one half of the show (Level 2 and higher) are welcome to sit free of charge in the specified “student seating” for the other half of the show. They will require a ticket if they will be joining parents in the audience. Students in Level 1 and lower are required to be picked up by a parent or guardian after intermission. Students in Level 1 and lower who are not picked up by their parents will be kept in the balcony until their parents retrieve them following the second act. The Dance Spectrum dress rehearsal running order has been posted on the bulletin board in the atrium, and the show orders for the performances will be posted in the atrium shortly. There is a list at the School Office for parents to check spelling of names for the programs and for attendance certificates.
Costumes are provided by the RWB wardrobe department. Students may be asked to wear part of the RWB School uniform as part of their costume.
The RWB School will be offering class photos and DVDs of our year end recitals for purchase as a keepsake. The photos are scheduled to be taken during the students’ dress rehearsal time and DVDs are recorded of each of the recitals. More information about pricing and ordering these items will be made available in our May newsletter.
DANCE SPECTRUM VOLUNTEERS
Every year, we are grateful for the large number of parent volunteers who help our shows run smoothly backstage. Interested parents can sign up by contacting our Parent Volunteer coordinator, Sydney Barber, at email@example.com. If classes are missing volunteers, the School Office will be contacting parents to inquire about their interest in joining our volunteer team!
1. If I volunteer do I have to volunteer for both the dress rehearsal and performance? YES
2. If I volunteer, will I miss my child’s performance? NO, volunteers will be allowed to watch from the front at dress rehearsal and from backstage at the performance.
3. Do I have to pay for a ticket? Absolutely not!
4. How will I know what to do? A meeting will be scheduled for all volunteers to go over their duties.
Thursday, April 19 – 7:30pm
Friday, April 20 – 7:30pm
Saturday, April 21 – 7:30pm
This is your opportunity to view the pieces that will participate in Manitoba Dance Festival. Tickets are free of charge for performers’ families. Each participating student will receive two tickets for each show that they perform in. Information regarding tickets for this performance, including which evenings your child is performing, will be communicated to all participating students shortly.
Please note: video recording will not be permitted at the performances.
We are very pleased to announce that this year’s Festival Preview Silver Collection will be put toward the RWB School Recreational Division Opportunity Fund. This fund was created to ensure that as many young people as possible have access to quality dance programming at the RWB School.
5678 SHOWTIME COMPETITION
From March 16-18, RWB School Dance Ensemble students presented outstanding performances at the 5678 Showtime Competition and Convention. Convention participants had the opportunity to work with 5678 Showtime Faculty Jera Wolf (Canada), Sante Fortunato (Canada), Aleksandr (Sasha) Yudintsev (Kazakhstan), and Dareian Kujawa (USA). Students participated in a number of workshops, including Contemporary Ballet, Lyrical, Street Jazz, Jazz, Hip Hop, and Theatre.
Congratulations to Delaney Giesbrecht, who received a scholarship to either the Paris or Barcelona Dance Tour!
Congratulations to all students who participated in the competition!
MOVE DANCE COMPETITION
March 20 – 24, RWB School Dance Ensemble students again delivered amazing performances at the MOVE Dance Competition.
Congratulations to the following finalists:
• Bryn Dubberley for her lyrical solo, Girl with the Red Balloon
• Shayla Tripper for her contemporary solo, Lung
• Delaney Giesbrecht, Sadie Paquette, and Lynea turner for their Hip Hop trio, To Be Announced
• Ben McIntyre-Ridd and Juliette Schroeder-Suss for their Musical Theatre duo, The Song that Goes Like This
• The Junior Jazz Dance Ensemble for their piece, My Kind of Girl
• The Intermediate/Senior Hip Hop Dance Ensemble for their piece, Royalty OG
• The Senior Jazz Dance Ensemble for their piece, Remanence
• The Intermediate Musical Theatre Dance Ensemble for their piece, Seize the Day
• The Senior Jazz Dance Ensemble for their piece, Move On
As well, the following pieces received special awards and overall placings:
• The Junior Jazz Dance Ensemble won group 1st overall and 3rd place Champions for their piece, My Kind of Girl
• The Senior Jazz Dance Ensemble won extended line 3rd overall, and 3rd place Champions for their piece, Remanence
• The Intermediate Musical Theatre Dance Ensemble won extended line 2nd overall for their piece, Seize the Day
As well, we would like to congratulate RD Faculty member Darilyn Burdeniuk, who won a special choreography award for her piece, Move On, which was also the highest scoring open routine at the competition.
Congratulations to all students who participated in the competition!
RWB SCHOOL ARTISTIC FACULTY IN THE COMMUNITY
RD teacher, Kelly Bale and RD Principal Nicole Kepp, were invited to adjudicate at the South-Eastern Manitoba Dance Festival. Ms. Kepp adjudicated Jazz, tap, ballet, hip hop, and improvisation on Saturday, March 9th. On Sunday, March 18th, Ms. Bale adjudicated the ballet, demi-character, pointe, modern, and Self-Choreography categories and awarded scholarships to chosen participants. Both teachers thoroughly enjoyed educating the students and witnessing the work in rural Manitoba.
CECCHETTI BALLET EXAMS
Cecchetti Ballet Examinations will be taking place at the RWB School from April 10th-16th. Exam times have been emailed to all participants with instructions for the day-of. If you have any questions regarding your child’s ballet exam, please speak with their teacher directly or contact the RWB School Office.
2018-19 REGULAR SESSION REGISTRATION
RWB School registration is fast approaching! Parents and families of current RWB students will have an exclusive opportunity to secure registration appointments starting on Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 10:00 am. On Tuesday, May 22, 2018, appointments will be made available to the general public and will continue to be open to returning RWB students.Class Registration will run from June 20-23 and June 25-28, 2018.
All registration appointment bookings will be available on a first come, first served basis, and classes will fill quickly. An appointment is required to register for classes during the desi gnated registration period. We will not be able to provide registration support without a scheduled appointment.
Appointments are to be made at www.rwb.org/register. We are unable to book appointments for registration over the phone.
Please note that you do not require your child’s placement level in order to book an appointment. Further information can be obtained by contacting the RWB School Office.
ADULT SUMMER DANCE JULY 2 – AUGUST 2
Adult Summer Dance is a five-week RWB School Recreational Division program for adults of all ages and skill levels. Whether you’re an experienced dancer looking to refine your technique or a beginner keen to try something new, Adult Summer Dance has just the class to meet your needs. Classes are available in ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop and modern dance with various options to suit your summer schedule. Be sure to take advantage of this unique opportunity to strengthen your body, focus your mind and express your individual style this summer – not to mention have some fun!
For the schedule and registration information click here.
DANCE INTENSIVE JULY 30 – AUGUST 11
Register by April 1 and save $100!
Training in the summer months allows dancers to stay in shape and tune up before regular classes start in September. New to DI-18 this year is the parent and family showcase on the final da y of the program! All dancers will be working with Guest Teacher Philippe Larouche on an original piece of choreography. Senior level dancers will have an opportunity to work with RWB Dancers Yayoi Ban and Katie Bonnell!
For information and to register click here.
Would you like to join us for Sharing Dance Day? Register yourself or a team online and join us for a nation-wide celebration of dance. You can come learn the routine in person at our community classes or check out the online tutorials and learn it in your living room!
RWB School Community Classes
• 380 Graham Avenue
• Tuesdays, January 30 - May 29
• Ages 6+ (Families Welcome)
Visit rwb.org/sharingdance and follow the links to the official registration page and online tutorials!
Every school that enters the Manitoba Dance Festival must provide a certain number of volunteers based on their number of entries. Volunteers are given roles at the Festival which may include: handing out certificates onstage, working at the information booth or monitoring the audience. We truly appreciate any time you are able to donate on behalf of the RWB School. Please stop by the School Office to sign up for this volunteer opportunity.
RWB SCHOOL STUDENTS TAKE THE STAGE IN RURAL MANITOBA
Congratulations to our RWB School satellite students, Winnipeg students, and teachers who wowed audiences in March with recitals in St. Malo and Altona.
Lisa Brooks prepared her students for an outstanding St Malo recital on March 15th, which included performances by RD Students Bryn Dubberley and Zoe Gagnon.
On March 18, Emily Bergen presented her recital with Satellite students in Altona. Guest performers included Sarah Snider Tymin Keown of the RWB School’s Professional Division, as well as Maryn Woo of the RWB School’s Recreational Division.
We look forward to our recital in Eriksdale taking place in May. We would like to thank all dancers, teachers and staff for another fabulous season spreading the excitement of the RWB School across Manitoba!
Did you know that as a patron of the RWB School y ou receive discounts to Company performances? The final show for the RWB Company is Carmina Burana with Serenade on May 2 - 6, 2018. Your exclusive discount code will be sent by email on Wednesday, April 11!
For more information about the show please click here.
Tickets are going fast for the 2018 Ballet Ball, The Emerald City. Join us on Saturday, April 28 at the Fairmont Hotel for a Wizard of Oz inspired evening of performances and silent auction prizes all in support of Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet.
For more information click here.
We are always eager to know of any student accomplishments in the dance world outside of the RWB! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share any accomplishments that you would like to share with us and the rest of the RWB student body in the monthly newsletter!
• We ask parents to please ensure their child(ren) are using the stairs whenever possible, and that they are not using the elevator unnecessarily. We have been informed of many instances of children playing in the elevator and for their safety and that of others, we ask that this not continue.
• Please refrain from using the automated accessibility button located at the entries to the RWB building unless you require its use. The frequent use of this button causes the lo bby and mezzanine levels to remain at a low temperature, thus making an uncomfortable environment for staff, students, and parents.
• We ask that students who are sick stay home to rest. This will provide their bodies the opportunity to heal and will eliminate the spread of illness to their classmates. Students recovering from injury are encouraged to observe their classes and participate to the best of their ability. Speak to your child’s teacher about how best to manage their injury.
• All belongings should be locked in lockers to avoid theft. The RWB School cannot be responsible for lost or stolen articles. Items left in public areas (i.e., outside of studios or in waiting areas) will be removed and placed in our school office until their owner returns to retrieve them. We ask that any incidences of vandalism or theft be reported to the RD Principal so that we can work to ensure a safe and positive environment for all.
• Please refrain from idling their vehicles in the drive-thru when waiting for their children.