APRIL 2016 RECREATIONAL DIVISION ONLINE BULLETIN
Important Calendar Reminders
April 1-3: RWB presents Q Dance
April 3: RD Classes resume
April 3: Cecchetti Exam rehearsals
April 6: ExplorAbility Session 3 begins
April 10: Last day for Sunday Movers & Shakers II
April 10: Cecchetti Exam Rehearsals
April 11 - 21: Cecchetti Ballet examinations
April 16: Last day to make-up classes (with the exception of adult classes and ITP)
April 16: Last day for Saturday Movers & Shakers II
April 21-24: Dance Festival Preview
RWB School year-end recitals: Dance Spectrum + Spring Concert
Our year-end dance showcases celebrate the wonderful work of the RD students in three performances from May 29 – June 5.
Dance Spectrum #1 – Sunday, May 29 – 6:30 pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Dance Spectrum #2 – Saturday, June 4 - 6:30 pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Spring Concert – Sunday, June 5 – 3:00 pm at the Pantages Playhouse Theatre
Tickets are available through the RWB Customer Service Office at 380 Graham Avenue, online, or by calling 204.956.2792 (1.800.667.4792 toll free).
Please note that students who are in only one half of the show are welcome to sit free of charge in the specified “student seating” for the other half of the show. They will require a ticket if they will be joining parents in the audience. Running orders for the show will be posted in the atrium shortly. There is a list at the School Office for parents to check spelling of names for the programs and for Attendance certificates.
Costumes are provided by the RWB wardrobe department for the most part. Students may be asked to wear part of the RWB School uniform as part of their costume.
Once again, the RWB School is pleased to offer for purchase class photos and DVDs of our year end recitals as a keepsake. The photos are scheduled to be taken during the students’ dress rehearsal time and DVDs are recorded of each of the recitals.
Photo (Digital and Hard Copy) $17
Orders will be accepted May 1 – June 24
Dance Spectrum Volunteers
Every year, we are grateful for the large number of parent volunteers who help our shows run smoothly backstage. Interested parents can sign up through the School Office. If classes are missing volunteers, the School Office will be contacting parents to inquire about their interest in joining our volunteer team!
1. If I volunteer do I have to volunteer for both the dress rehearsal and performance? YES
2. If I volunteer, will I miss my child’s performance? NO, volunteers will be allowed to watch from the front at dress rehearsal and from backstage at the performance.
3. Do I have to pay for a ticket? Absolutely not!
4. How will I know what to do? A meeting will be scheduled for all volunteers to go over their duties.
All Parent Volunteers will need to attend a short meeting on Saturday, May 28th (times to be announced).
April 21st @ 7:30 pm
April 22nd @ 7:30 pm
April 23rd @ 2:00 pm
April 24th @ 2:00 pm
This is your opportunity to view the pieces that will participate in Manitoba Dance Festival. Tickets are free of charge for performers’ families. Each participating student will receive two tickets for each show in which they perform. Information regarding tickets for this performance, including which evenings your child is performing, will be communicated to all participating students shortly.
Please note: video recording will not be permitted at the performances.
RWB School Recreational Division Opportunity Fund
We are very pleased to announce that this year’s Festival Preview Silver Collection will be put toward the RWB School Recreational Division Opportunity Fund. This fund was created to ensure that as many young people as possible have access to quality dance programming at the RWB School. Applicants are asked to submit a letter outlining the circumstances of their financial need, and bursaries will be distributed at the discretion of RWB School.
Last day for Movers and Shakers 2
The last day of Movers and Shakers 2 classes are Sunday, April 10 and Saturday, April 16.
For those of you graduating from Movers and Shakers 2, you can continue your journey with dance in the Creative Movement 4yrs old program in the upcoming school year. More information about returning student registration is included below.
Thunderstruck Canada Competition
From March 2-6, the RWB School Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students excelled at the Thunderstruck Canada Competition. Congratulations to all students who participated!
- L.O.V.E received Lightning Gold, 5th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Dream received Lightning Gold, 4th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Ruby Blue received Lightning Gold, 5th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Marry you received High Gold, 9th place overall (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Dock of the Bay received Lightning Gold, 6th place overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Clarity received High Gold, 7th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- At Last received Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Warmer Climate received Gold (choreographed by Scott Andrew)
- Broadway Baby received High Gold (choreographed by Cheyenne Schroeder/Julie Gregorchuk)
- Alto’s Lament received Gold (choreographed by Cheyenne Schroeder)
- Unite to Change received Lightning Gold, 4th place overall (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Eleventh Hour received Lightning Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Moondance received Lightning Gold, 9th place overall (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Clair De Lune received Lightning Gold, 7th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Swing! received Lightning Gold, 8th place overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Company B received Platinum Thunder, 2nd place overall (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Sweet Georgia Brown received Lightning Gold, 7th place overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Royalty received Lightning Gold, 8th place overall (choreographed by Eugene Baffoe)
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy received Lightning Gold, 2nd place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Better in Stereo received Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Puttin’ On The Ritz received High Gold, 6th place overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Writings on the Wall received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Material Girl received Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- The Forgotten received Platinum Thunder, 2nd place overall (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- The Race received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- When Love Hurts received Gold (choreographed by Sharlyne Santos)
- Tears Always Win received High Silver (choreographed by Sharlyne Santos)
- Not About Angels received High Gold (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Triad received Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Try Me Mr.Marazcek received High Gold, 5th place overall (choreographed by Keri Lee Smith)
- Smile received Lightning Gold, 6th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Brand New Day received Lightning Gold, 3rd place overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Le Jazz Hot received High Gold (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Orange Coloured Sky received Platinum Thunder, 2nd place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Kaleidoscope Heart received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Breath of Life received Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Pulse received High Gold, 8th place overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- 1+1=3 received High Gold, 5th place overall (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Agony received Gold, 9th place overall (choreographed by Cheyenne Schroeder)
5678 Showtime Competition
The following weekend, March 11 - 13, RWB School Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students presented outstanding performances at the 5678 Showtime Competition and Convention. Convention participants had the opportunity to work with 5678 Showtime Faculty Matt Marr (Canada), Carley Cofield (Canada) and Anthony Carr (USA) in a wide range of dance disciplines including Contemporary, Hip Hop, Theatre, Jazz, Street Jazz, and Tap.
Congratulations to all students who participated in the competition!
- Smile received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Dream received 1st (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Not About Angels received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- L.O.V.E received 1st (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- The Race received 1st (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Unite to Change received 2nd (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy received 1st (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Better in Stereo received 2nd (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Triad received 2nd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Writings on the wall received 1st (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Material Girl received 3rd (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Orange Coloured Sky received 1st (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Kaleidoscope Heart received 1st (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Moondance received 1st (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Brand New Day received 2nd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Marry You received 3rd (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Dock of the Bay received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Puttin’ on the Ritz received 2nd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Company B received 1st (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Sweet Georgia Brown received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- 1+1=3 received 2nd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Swing! received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Le Jazz Hot received 1st (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- When love hurts received 1st (choreographed by Sharlyne Santos)
We are happy to announce that the RWB School placed 3rd overall for Group of the Year, and was awarded a cash prize of $250. This prize was donated to the RD Opportunity Fund on behalf of the Recreational Division Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students.
Cecchetti Ballet Exams
Cecchetti Ballet Examinations will be taking place at the RWB School from April 11th – April 21st. Exam times have been emailed to all participants with instructions for the day of. If you have any questions regarding your child’s ballet exam, please speak with their teacher directly or contact the RWB School Office.
2016/17 RD Regular Session Registration
Information regarding the 2016/17 RD Regular Session Registration will be communicated to all returning students following Spring Break! We look forward to sharing important details regarding booking appointments and confirmed dates and hours of our annual registration period with you.
Adult Summer Dance
June 27 – July 28 2016
A program specially designed for our adult students, Adult Summer Dance 2016 provides an opportunity to try new dance classes with only a five-week commitment. It also provides our returning students the wonderful opportunity to continue honing their skills over the summer months. It’s a fun and great way to keep fit!
Information regarding classes offered, schedules and registration is all available through our School Office or online.
The RWB School Recreational Division Dance Intensive program is a two-week training opportunity for young dancers ages 9-18 looking to improve their skills and deepen their understanding of the art form in a positive and supportive environment. The experienced teaching staff at the RWB School, together with talented guest teachers, will inspire students to learn and grow. When not in the studio, the RWB School Residence will provide a safe and comfortable home-away-from-home for Dance Intensive students and our fun-filled activity program will provide dancers first-hand exposure to the arts and culture for which our city is known.
Now accepting registrations for Dance Intensive 2016! Click here to find out more.
Join us for Sharing Dance Day on June 3rd
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is thrilled to be partnering with Canada’s National Ballet School on Sharing Dance, a national arts engagement strategy aimed at improving ACCESS to quality dance EDUCATION for the HEALTH of all Canadians. The Winnipeg celebration of Sharing Dance Day 2016 is on June 3, 2016 at 1:30 pm outside on Edmonton Street between Graham Avenue and Portage Avenue.
All participants must register at SharingDance.ca. If you require assistance with the registration process, please send participant names to the Sharing Dance Coordinator and he will complete the registration process on your behalf. All participants must complete the participation waiver available at the RWB School Office and due by April 7, 2016.
Livestreaming rehearsals are being broadcast every second Friday at 6:45 pm from now until June 3, 2016 at SharingDance.ca. Both standing and seated versions of the routine are available and all lessons will be posted online for easy access.
The RWB School will be hosting a series of open rehearsals at the RWB Building (380 Graham Avenue). There is no fee to participate and all Manitobans ages 8+ are welcome to join (first come, first serve). Bring your families and friends – the more the merrier!
Group A: Wednesdays from 6:15 – 7:15 pm – April 6th, April 13th, April 20th, April 27th, May 4th, May 11th, May 18th, and June 2nd, 2016.
Group B: Thursdays from 6:45 – 7:45 pm – April 7th, April 14th, April 28th, May 5th, May 12th, May 19th, and June 3rd, 2016
To sign up for open rehearsals, please click here or call the RWB School Office at 204.957.3467. Please do not hesitate to contact us of you have any questions or if you require additional information. Inquiries can be directed to Sharing Dance Coordinator Philippe-Alexandre Jacques at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204.957.2225. We look forward to celebrating dance with you this year at Sharing Dance Day!
RWB School students take the stage in rural Manitoba
Congratulations to our RWB School satellite students, Winnipeg students and teachers who wowed audiences in March with recitals in St Malo, Gimli and Altona.
Lisa Brooks prepped her students for an outstanding St Malo recital on March 10, which included RD students Megan Fry, Soleil Kunzig, and Daria McKennitt as guest performers. The following week, Lisa presented the hard work of her Gimli students in an eclectic recital which included guest performances by RD students Megan Gareau, Alexandra Sahasrabuddhe, Kiara Sahasrabuddhe, Weldon Scott, and Zenya Veryha.
On March 20, Hannah Arras presented her recital with satellite students in Altona. RD student Lia Loewen, and PD students Seung Yeon Lee and Liam Reed shone as guest performers along with Altona’s satellite dancers. May brings the final satellite recital presented in Eriksdale by artistic faculty Alie Wagar and Karyn Maertens.
We would like to thank all dancers, teachers and staff for another fabulous season spreading the excitement of the RWB School across Manitoba!
Spotlight is a main stage feature production featuring students of the RWB School Professional Division. Performing excerpts from the best of the traditional ballets, the RWB School Professional Division will capture your hearts and impress you with their versatility and unique talents. Past performances have included excerpts from La Bayadére, Le Corsaire, Coppélia, and Don Quixote.
Graduates have gone on to perform, choreograph and teach for major dance companies such as Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, Miami City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Boston Ballet, Queensland Ballet, Singapore Ballet, Stuttgart Ballet and other companies throughout the world.
To learn more or to purchase tickets, click here.
Saturday, April 23, 2016
York Ballroom, RBC Convention Centre
Hosted by world-renowned ballerina and former RWB Principal Dancer Evelyn Hart and RWB Artistic Director André Lewis
For more information, click here.
Parking in the RWB Parkade
We understand that parking on events nights in the downtown area can be difficult. We encourage patrons to use our attached parkade at their convenience.
Upon pulling into the parkade on an event nights, RWB School students and their families should alert the attendant that they are attending dance classes with the RWB. You will be invited to enter the parkade as usual, using a ticket dispensed from the machine, and will not be required to pay the event rate.
When leaving at the end of your classes, you should use this ticket to pay the regular evening rate of $6.00, either by credit card at the exit gate or at the wall terminal on the main level of the parkade with cash or by credit card.
If you ever have difficulty exiting the parkade, push the button to seek assistance. Please wait 30 seconds to 1 minute for the attendant to pick-up the outgoing call before pushing the button again. The call is being routed to a mobile on-call devise and requires processing time for the call to complete.
RWB Parkade Rates:*
Daily 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM: $12.00 Evening 6:00 PM – 6:00 AM: $6.00
*In effect 7 days per week.
Day of Pink
Join the RWB School, in partnership with Royal Bank of Canada, to celebrate Day of Pink on Wednesday, April 13th. It is a day where communities across the world can unite in celebrating diversity and raising awareness to stop all forms of bullying, including homophobia and transphobia. We invite all students to participate in our Day of Pink festivities taking place between April 13th-16th. Please see below for the different ways you can become involved in Day of Pink.
Wednesday, April 13th – Day of Pink Event 6:00-7:30pm Studio 116
Open to Recreational Division students ages 13 and up, sign up at the School Office to participate in our Day of Pink event and kick-off! The event will include performances from the RWB School Recreational Division, Professional Division, Aspirant Program and RWB Company. Guest speaker Travis Price, founder of Day of Pink, will be joining us for the festivities. Space is limited, please sign up at the RWB School Office by April 10th to participate.
Wednesday, April 13th through Saturday, April 16th – Show your support! Show your Pink!
Students of all ages are invited to show their support for Day of Pink by wearing the colour pink to their dance classes!
Saturday, April 16th – Day of Pink Bake Sale
Come out and support our Recreational Division and Professional Division student run bake sale. All proceeds will go toward the Recreational Division Opportunity Fund
Wednesday, April 13th through Saturday, April 16th – Day of Pink Pledges
Show your support for Day of Pink by making a donation to the Recreational Division Opportunity fund. Donations will be accepted at the kick off event, bake sale, and throughout the week at the School Office.
Follow us on social media and participate by showing us your support with #RWBSDAYOFPINK