APRIL 2015 RECREATIONAL DIVISION ONLINE BULLETIN
Important Calendar Reminders
April 5 – Easter Sunday - RD Classes Cancelled
April 6 – RD classes resume after Spring/Easter Break
April 12 – Cecchetti ballet exam rehearsals
April 13-22 – Cecchetti ballet examinations
April 15 – Sharing Dance Day rehearsal
April 19 – Last day to make up classes (with the exception of Adult and 2nd classes)
April 19, 25 – Last day for Movers and Shakers program
April 22 – Sharing Dance Day Rehearsal
April 23-25 – Festival Preview Performances
April 26 – Intensive Training Program Auditions
April 26 – Jazz Dance Ensemble Auditions
April 26 – Tap Dance Ensemble Auditions
April 29 – Sharing Dance Day rehearsal
April 29 – International Dance Day
May 3 – Musical Theatre Dance Ensemble Auditions
RWB School year-end recitals: Dance Spectrum + Spring Concert
Our year-end dance showcases celebrate the wonderful work of the RD students in three performances from May 31-June 7.
- Spring Concert – Sunday, May 31 - 3:00 pm at the Pantages Playhouse Theatre
- Dance Spectrum #1 – Saturday, June 6 - 6:30 pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
- Dance Spectrum #2 – Sunday, June 7 - 6:30 pm at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
Tickets are available through the RWB Customer Service Office at 380 Graham Avenue, online at rwb.org, or by calling 204.956.2792 (1.800.667.4792 toll free).
Please note that students who are in only one half of the show are welcome to sit free of charge in the specified “student seating” for the other half of the show. They will require a ticket if they will be joining parents in the audience. Running orders for the show are posted in the atrium. There is a list at the School Office for parents to check spelling of names for the programs and for Attendance certificates.
Costumes are provided by the RWB wardrobe department for the most part. Students may be asked to wear part of the RWB School uniform as part of their costume.
Every year, we are grateful for the large number of parent volunteers who help our shows run smoothly backstage. Interested parents can sign up through the School Office. If classes are missing volunteers, the School Office will be contacting parents to inquire about their interest in joining our volunteer team!
1. If I volunteer do I have to volunteer for both the dress rehearsal and performance? YES
2. If I volunteer, will I miss my child’s performance? NO, volunteers will be allowed to watch from the front at dress rehearsal and from backstage at the performance.
3. Do I have to pay for a ticket? Absolutely not!
4. How will I know what to do? A meeting will be scheduled for all volunteers to go over their duties.
All Parent Volunteers will need to attend a short meeting on Saturday, May 30th (times to be announced).
April 23rd 7:30 pm
April 24th 7:30 pm
April 25th 1:00 pm
April 25th 7:30 pm
This is your opportunity to view the pieces that will participate in Manitoba Dance Festival. Tickets are free of charge for performers’ families. Each participating student will receive two tickets for each show that they perform in. Ticket information will be available to performers shortly.
Please note: video recording will not be permitted at the performances.
RWB School Recreational Division Opportunity Fund
We are very pleased to announce that this year’s Festival Preview Silver Collection will be put toward the RWB School Recreational Division Opportunity Fund. This fund was created to ensure that as many young people as possible have access to quality dance programming at the RWB School. Applicants are asked to submit a letter outlining the circumstances of their financial need, and bursaries will be distributed at the discretion of the RWB School.
Last day for Movers and Shakers 2
The last day of Movers and Shakers 2 classes are Sunday, April 19 and Saturday, April 25.
For those of you graduating from Movers and Shakers 2, you can continue your journey with dance in the Creative Movement 4yrs old program in the upcoming school year. More information about returning student registration is included below.
Thunderstruck Canada Competition
From March 5 - 8, the RWB School Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students excelled at the Thunderstruck Canada Competition. Congratulations to all students who participated!
- MI 13 received High Gold (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Let’s Have A Kiki received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Me And My Girls received High Silver (choreographed by Yvanne Dandan)
- I Want It Now received High Gold (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing received Gold (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- Same Sea received High Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- I Wanna Dance! received Lightning Gold, Judges Choice (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Here I Come received High Gold (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Papaoutai received Lightning Gold, 6th Overall (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Sisterhood received High Gold, 8th Overall (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Hit The Road Jack received Lightning Gold, 4th Overall (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- As Long As I’m Singing received Lightning Gold, 5th Overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- The Music and The Mirror received Lightning Gold, Judges Choice (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- Black Violin received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Everything At Once received High Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Beat Of My Drum received Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Tightrope received High Gold (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Don’t Underestimate Me received High Gold (choreographed by Yvanne Dandan)
- Nara received Lightning Gold, 1st Overall, Dance Excellence Award (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Dance With Me Tonight received Lightning Gold, 3rd Overall (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Ring Them Bells received Lightning Gold, 4th Overall (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- #Lucky received Lightning Gold, 6th Overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- A Voice received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Royalty received Gold, 10th Overall (choreographed by Eugene Baffoe)
- Meet Me At The Roxy received High Gold, 5th overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Swing received High Gold, 6th overall (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Sing With A Swing received Gold (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- The Jive received Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Technologic received Lightning Gold, 2nd Overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- For Good received High Gold, 8th Overall (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Viva La Vida received High Gold (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- With Or Without You received High Gold (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Ability To Swing received High Gold (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Give Me One Reason received Gold (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Come Fly With Me received Gold, 6th Overall (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Roustabout received High Gold (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Say Something received Lightning Gold, 1st Overall (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Chain Of Fools received Gold (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
5678 Showtime Competition
The following weekend, March 13 – 15, RWB School Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students presented outstanding performances at the 5678 Showtime Competition and Convention. Convention participants had the opportunity to work with 5678 Showtime Faculty, Yann-Alrick Mortreuil Henry (Paris, France), Tyger-B (USA), and Philip Ancheta (Orlando, Florida) in a wide range of dance disciplines including Contemporary, Hip Hop, Theatre, Jazz, Dance Hall, Charleston and Boogie Woogie.
Congratulations to all students who participated in the competition!
- For Good received 1st (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Nara received 1st (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- A Voice received 3rd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Let’s Have A Kiki received 3rd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Technologic received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Papaoutai received 2nd (choreographed by Rachel Cooper)
- Roustabout received 2nd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- The Jive (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Sing With A Swing received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Come Fly With Me received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Black Violin received 2nd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Beat of My Drum (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Tightrope (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Everything At Once received 1st (tied) (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- Chain of Fools (choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht)
- I Wanna Dance! received 1st (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Here I Come received 2nd (choreographed by Nicole Kepp)
- Me and My Girls received 1st (choreographed by Yvanne Dandan)
- Royalty (choreographed by Eugene Baffoe)
- Don’t Underestimate Me received 2nd (choreographed by Yvanne Dandan)
- Meet Me At The Roxy received 1st (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Sisterhood received 3rd (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- Hit The Road Jack received 1st (tied) (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- As Long As I’m Singing received 2nd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- With Or Without You (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Ability To Swing received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Viva La Vida received 2nd (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- The Music and The Mirror received 2nd (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- I Want It Now received 3rd (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing received 3rd (choreographed by Keri-lee Smith)
- Mi: 13 received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
- Dance With Me Tonight (choreographed by Aimee Brasko)
- Ring Them Bells (choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk)
- #lucky received 3rd (choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk)
Congratulations to Soleil Kunzig, winner of a $500 scholarship towards the 5678 Showtime/iDance Paris Dance Tour this summer.
In the competition’s Group of the year award (age 13+), the RWB School placed 3rd overall and received a prize of $250.
Intensive Training Program (ITP) Auditions
For students showing the ability and dedication for intensive training in classical ballet, the ITP provides a specialized training curriculum. Within this program, students prepare for ballet examinations in the Cecchetti Method. Along with exam preparation, regular ballet classes are supported with additional classes including pointe, conditioning, modern and Dance Ensemble (performance group) depending on the program level. Spring auditions are held annually for the Junior and Intermediate levels. Reacceptance into the program from year to year relies heavily on attendance and progress, as well as individual commitment and class professionalism throughout the previous year. Students who have shown an ability for the program are invited into the first level of the ITP, Pre-Intensive at the end of Level 4 ballet. Students who achieve a passing grade on their Intermediate, Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 exams will be automatically accepted into the next level should their attendance and commitment from the previous year be satisfactory.
Audition Date: Sunday, April 26th
- Junior 1 Audition 11:15am – 12:15pm (2014-15 Levels 5A, 5B, Pre-ITP)
- Intermediate Audition 12:30pm – 1:45pm (2014-15 Level 6A & up, Junior 2)
Interested students are asked to pre-register for the audition through the RWB School Office. Audition applications will be available after spring break. Please note a parent signature is required at the time of registration.
Jazz, Tap and Musical Theatre Dance Ensemble Auditions for 2015-2016 season
All students wishing to join the 2015-16 RWB School’s, Jazz, Tap or Musical Theatre Dance Ensembles are required to attend an audition.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet School’s Dance Ensemble represents the school at various events, competitions and dance festivals. Students are selected based on their talent, ability, commitment, and attendance. Accepted students will learn and perfect choreography within the RWB School Dance Ensemble class.
In order to participate in the Dance Ensemble program, students must be registered for the following classes in addition to the respective Dance Ensemble class:
Junior Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes and 2 jazz classes. Hip hop is strongly recommended.
Intermediate Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes, 2 jazz classes, and hip hop. Lyrical jazz is strongly recommended.
Senior Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes and 2 jazz classes. Hip hop and lyrical jazz are strongly recommended.
Junior, Intermediate and Senior Tap: minimum of 1 tap class and 1 jazz or ballet class.
Junior, Intermediate and Senior Musical Theatre: minimum of 1 musical theatre class and 1 jazz, tap or ballet class.
The 2015-16 Dance Ensembles auditions are categorized based on your current level of study. Please refer to the list below to determine your audition date and time.
Audition Date: Sunday, April 26, 2015
Junior - 2014/15 Levels 2 - 3: 9:45-10:15 am
Intermediate - 2014/15 Levels 4 - 6: 9:00-9:30 am
Senior - 2014/15 Levels 7 and up: 10:30-11:00 am
Junior - 2014/15 Levels 3-4: 4:00 – 4:45pm
Intermediate - 2014/15 Level 5A: 3:00 - 3:45 pm
Senior - 2014/15 Levels 5B and up: 2:00-2:45 pm
Audition Date: Sunday, May 3, 2015
Junior - Ages 9-12yrs (as of Dec. 31st, 2015): 2:15-3:00 pm
Intermediate / Senior - Ages 13 and up (as of Dec. 31st, 2015): 3:15-4:15 pm
Interested students are asked to pre-register for the audition through the RWB School Office. Please note, a parent signature is required at the time of registration.
Cecchetti Ballet Exams
Cecchetti Ballet Examinations will be taking place at the RWB School from April 13 -22. Exam times have been emailed to all participants with instructions for the day-of. If you have any questions regarding your child’s ballet exam, please speak with their teacher directly or contact the RWB School Office.
Skip the line at this year’s RD Registration
We are pleased to announce some exciting changes to our School registration process. You will not be asked to wait in line during registration week! This year you will be required to book an appointment online and will have an opportunity to meet with our registration staff during your scheduled appointment. You must have an appointment to register for classes. Families must book an appointment for each student. All appointments will be booked on a first come, first served basis.
Parents of returning RD students will be given an access code to the online appointment booking page in advance of new students for two weeks. Appointment booking will begin on Monday, May 4 at 10 am. You do not need your child’s class placement in order to book an appointment. Comprehensive instructions and guidelines will be emailed to all families in the coming weeks. Registration for the 2015-16 year will be from June 16-20, 2015, and June 23-27, 2015.
Adult Summer Dance
June 29th-July 30th
A program specially designed for our adult students, Adult Summer Dance 2015 provides an opportunity to try new dance classes with only a five-week commitment. It also provides our returning students the wonderful opportunity to continue honing their skills over the summer months. It’s a fun and great way to keep fit!
Information regarding classes offered, schedules and registration is all available through our School Office or online at rwb.org/school.
Returning this summer from August 9-22, RWB School’s two week summer dance experience is open for registration. One of the only programs of its kind in North America, the RWB School Recreational Division Dance Intensive program is a training opportunity for young dancers ages 9-18 looking to improve their skills and deepen their understanding of the art form in a positive and supportive environment.
The experienced teaching faculty at the RWB School, together with a talented guest teacher, will inspire students to learn and grow.
For current RD students only:
10% Discount on Dance Intensive Tuition
50% Discount on Dance Intensive Residence
This summer, you don’t need to leave the city to have the overnight camp experience you’ve been dreaming of all year! We strongly encourage current RD students to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to stay in the RWB School Residence at a FRACTION OF THE COST. Don’t miss your chance to room with dancers from around the world, enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Residence dining hall and take in all of the planned and unplanned activities that Residence has to offer, all the while affording your parents the break they so rightly deserve.
Register online, or fill out a downloadable registration form and return to the RWB School Office in person, by mail or by email. As the registration spots in Dance Intensive fill quickly, reserve your place today! Registration Deadline: June 20, 2015
REGISTER ONLINE | REGISTRATION FORM
Join us for Sharing Dance Day on May 24
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet School is thrilled to be partnering with Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) on Sharing Dance, a national arts engagement strategy for a healthy, active Canada. Sharing Dance aims to spread appreciation of movement and music while encouraging Canadians of any age and fitness level to experience the joy of dance.
This year, we will be hosting a Sharing Dance Day event in Winnipeg on May 24, 2015 at 1:30 pm at Memorial Park, opposite the Manitoba Legislative Building at the corner of Broadway and Memorial Boulevard, and we would like to invite you to participate!
We will be hosting a series of open rehearsals at the RWB Building (380 Graham Avenue) in which a piece of choreography will be taught to participants. These rehearsals are scheduled from 6:00-7:00 pm in Studio 116 on the following dates: April 15, 22 & 29, May 6, 13 & 20, 2015. There is no fee to participate and all RWB School students ages 8+ are welcome to join. The piece will then be performed by all participants on May 24.
For additional information, please visit sharingdance.ca or contact Nicole Kepp, Vice-Principal of the RWB School Recreational Division, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204.957.3493 or through the RWB School Office.
We hope to have an opportunity to celebrate dance with you this year at Sharing Dance Day!
Jean McKenzie Scholarship
Sharing her passion for dance with the RWB for over 40 years, Jean McKenzie was one of the first stars of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. Excelling as a student, dancer, and educator with the Winnipeg Dance Club and ultimately the RWB, Jean was an inspiring mentor to many throughout her tenure. The Royal Winnipeg Ballet School is pleased to share that the family of the late RWB ballerina has established the Jean McKenzie Scholarship. Honouring one student annually, the $400 scholarship is presented to a RD student showing potential in ballet, dedication to the art form and strong camaraderie within the school. The award is applicable to the following year’s RWB School tuition fees.
Vanessa Hrynchuk was awarded the 2014-15 Jean McKenzie Scholarship, and we look forward to announcing the 2015 -16 scholarship recipient at this year’s Dance Spectrum.
RWB School students take the stage in rural Manitoba
Congratulations to our RWB School satellite students, Winnipeg students and teachers who wowed audiences in March with recitals in St Malo, Gimli and Altona.
Lisa Brooks prepped her students for an outstanding St Malo recital on March 12, which included RD student Lia Loewen as a guest performer. The following week, Lisa presented the hard work of her Gimli students in an eclectic recital which included guest performances by RD students Jehui Yoon, Maia Saunders, and PD students Katie Simpson and Nicholas Noguera.
On March 22, Stacha Penner presented her recital with satellite students in Altona. RD students Danika Burdeniuk and Anna Radawetz, and PD students Yue Shi and Victoria Jenkins shone as guest performers along with Altona’s satellite dancers. May brings the final satellite recital presented in Eriksdale by artistic faculty Alie Wagar and Samantha Hrabi.
We would like to thank all dancers, teachers and staff for another fabulous season spreading the excitement of the RWB School across Manitoba!
RWB School Professional Division presents La Bayadère: Kingdom of the Shades + The Misadventures of Pinocchio
Held for the first time at Manitoba Theatre Centre Mainstage, the end-of-year performance of the RWB School Professional Division students will delight audiences with four shows from May 21-23. The dynamic mixed repertoire will feature the famed Kingdom of the Shades from La Bayadère, and The Misadventures of Pinnochio; a one-act ballet composed of selected chapters from the beloved 19th century children’s novel.
Click here for tickets and information.
RD Students perform in The Faerie Queen!
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet continues its 75th Anniversary season with The Faerie Queen – A Ballet Based On A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the foremost work of Canadian choreographer John Alleyne. Alleyne’s contemporary ballet based on William Shakespeare’s famous comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream premieres with dancers of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, April 29-May 3 at the Centennial Concert Hall. Watch for RD students joining the cast in the youth roles of Attendants and Changelings!
Student and guest prices for The Faerie Queen – A Ballet Based On A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be available one week before the show!
Students may purchase one ticket for themselves at $25.00 and an additional ticket @ 50% off in Section B* for the following performances:
Wed, April 29, 2015 7:30PM Centennial Concert Hall
Thurs, April 30, 2015 7:30PM Centennial Concert Hall
Fri, May 1, 2015 7:30PM Centennial Concert Hall
Sat, May 2, 2015 7:30PM Centennial Concert Hall
Sun, May 3, 2015 2:00PM Centennial Concert Hall
* Taxes and fees not included, discount is taken off standard adult ticket pricing and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Discount tickets are available in Section B ONLY and are not exchangeable once the tickets have been processed.
RWB 75th Anniversary Gala
We invite you to join us for RWB’s Diamond Gala, April 18 at the RBC Convention Centre for breathtaking performances, luxurious prizes and a chance to mingle and dance the night away with RWB Company dancers.
Your support to the Diamond Gala enables the Royal Winnipeg Ballet to continue to present the highest standard of excellence in Canadian dance to communities across our country and around the world. It will also provide opportunities for aspiring young dancers to pursue their dream and achieve their potential as our future artists.
RBC Convention Centre - 375 York Ave
Saturday, April 18, 2015
6:00 pm | Cocktail Reception
7:00 pm | Dinner and Performance
10:30 pm | After Party
TO BOOK YOUR TABLE OR FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Lesley Lewis at (204) 957-3416 or email@example.com.