April 2014 Recreational Division Newsletter
DANCE SPECTRUM + SPRING CONCERT
Dance Spectrum and Spring Concert, our year-end student showcases, are just around the corner! Mark your calendars as follows:
Dance Spectrum #1 - May 25 - Centennial Concert Hall - 6:30 pm
Dance Spectrum #2 - May 31 - Centennial Concert Hall - 6:30 pm
Spring Concert - June 1 - Pantages Playhouse Theatre - 2:00 pm
Tickets are available through the RWB Customer Service Office at 380 Graham Avenue, online or by calling (204) 956-2792 or 1-800-667-4792 toll free.
Please note that students who are in only one half of the show are welcome to sit free of charge in the specified “student seating” for the other half of the show. They will require a ticket if they will be joining parents in the audience. Running orders for the show are posted in the atrium.
There is a list at the School Office for parents to check spelling of names for the programs and for Attendance certificates. This list will be available until Sunday, April 13th.
Costumes are provided by the RWB wardrobe department for the most part. Students may be asked to wear part of the RWB School uniform as part of the costume.
Once again, the RWB School is pleased to offer for purchase class photos and DVD’s of our year end recitals as a keepsake. The photos are scheduled to be taken during the students’ dress rehearsal and DVDs are recorded of each of the recitals.
Photo email $6
Hardcopy Photo $9
Orders will be accepted May 1 – June 21 at 3pm.
May 1st 7:30 pm
May 2nd 7:30 pm
May 3rd 1:00 pm
May 3rd 7:30 pm
This is your opportunity to view the pieces that will participate in Manitoba Dance Festival. Tickets are free of charge. Each student will receive two tickets for each show that they perform in. More information regarding tickets will be available in early April.
We are very pleased to announce that this year’s Festival Preview Silver Collection will be put toward the Recreational Division Opportunity Fund. The Recreational Division Opportunity Fund was created to ensure that as many young people as possible have access to quality dance programming at the RWB School. Applicants will be asked to submit a letter outlining the circumstances of their financial need and bursaries will be distributed at the discretion of RWB School staff.
Please note: video recording and photography will not be permitted at the performances
LAST DAY FOR MOVERS AND SHAKERS 2
The last day of Movers and Shakers 2 classes are April 26th and 27th.
Students graduating from Movers and Shakers 2 are invited to register for the Creative Movement 4yrs old program for fall/winter. Our registration for returning students will be held in June 2014 (dates and times TBC).
CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL DANCE DAY WITH THE ROYAL WINNIPEG BALLET SCHOOL PROFESSIONAL DIVISION ON APRIL 29TH
International Dance Day takes place on April 29 of every year. Performances, workshops, activities and events will take place across the country to promote and celebrate this art form. In celebration of International Dance Day the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School’s Professional Division will be holding a second audition date for acceptance into our Summer Session. This four-week intensive training will give prospective students a taste of what professional ballet training is all about and is the next step audition process for the full-time Regular Session for 2014-2015.
If you are interested in auditioning please contact the School Office
Royal Winnipeg Ballet School Audition Details:
380 Graham Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
13:00-14:00 Audition 10-12yrs
14:00-14:30 Q & A
14:30-15:30 Audition 13+yrs
About International Dance Day:
Initiated in 1982 by the International Dance Committee of the UNESCO International Theatre Institute, International Dance Day falls on April 29 of every year, commemorating the birthday of Jean-Georges Noverre, a distinguished choreographer that brought about significant reforms in ballet production. Every year, a message authored by an internationally respected dance personality is circulated around the world as part of International Dance Day celebrations. Since 2005, the Canadian Dance Assembly (CDA) has released a Canadian message authored by a celebrated Canadian dance personality in conjunction with the UNESCO message - highlighting the passion and excellence within our own borders.
THUNDERSTRUCK CANADA COMPETITION
Over the weekend of March 6th through 9th the RWB School Jazz and Tap Dance Ensemble students participated in Thunderstruck Canada Competition. Congratulations to all students who participated:
- Surfs Up! – Pre-Jazz Dance Ensemble, Choreographed by Nicole Kepp received High Gold and 8th overall.
- Propel – Junior Jazz Dance Ensemble, Choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk received Lightning Gold.
- Impulse – Intermediate Jazz Dance Ensemble, Choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk received High Gold.
- Nation II Nation – Senior Jazz Dance Ensemble, choreographed by Rachel Cooper received Platinum Thunder and placed 9th overall.
- Pause – Senior Tap Dance Ensemble, choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk received Lightning Gold and placed 2nd overall.
- Dance! – Junior Tap Dance Ensemble, choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk received High Gold.
- I’m Yours – Colin Chartier Tap solo, choreographed by Aimee Brasko received Lightning Gold.
- Mind Control – Intermediate Tap Dance Ensemble, Choreographed by Aimee Brasko received High Gold and placed 9th overall.
- Crazy In Love – Lia Loewen, Jazz solo, choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk received a High Gold.
- Listen – Danika Burdeniuk Tap Solo, choreographed by Darilyn Burdeniuk received a High Gold.
- Superstition – Ronan Sheikh Tap Solo, choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk received Lightning Gold, placed 1st overall and received a Judges Choice Award.
- Walking On Sunshine – Maia Saunders Tap solo, choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk received High Gold.
- Cuban Pete – Delaney Giesbrecht Tap solo, choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk received Gold.
- Something New – Anna Radawetz Jazz solo, choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht received High Gold.
- Bring On The Wonder – Aisha Kunzig, Lyrical solo, choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht received High Gold.
- Dancing In The Sky – Delaney Giesbrecht, Lyrical solo, choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht received High Gold.
- Bright Lights and Cityscapes – Marina Lamontagne, Lyrical solo, choreographed by Kira Kjear received High Gold.
- Tell Me Something I Don’t Know – Bryn Dubberley, Jazz solo, choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht received Gold.
- All That Jazz – Kendra Woo, Jazz solo, choreographed by Nicole Kepp received Lightning Gold.
- A Little Party – Soleil Kunzig, Jazz solo, choreographed by Nicole Kepp received Lightning Gold and placed 4th overall.
- Dynamite – Tamara Nelson, Jazz solo choreographed by Nicole Kepp received Gold.
- Ooh La La – Kiara Sahasrabuddhe, Jazz solo choreographed by Nicole Kepp received High Silver.
- Oh My My – Megan Fry, Jazz solo choreographed by Rachel Cooper received High Gold
- Golden – Danika Burdeniuk, Jazz solo choreographed by Rachel Cooper received High Gold.
SATELLITE PROGRAM RECITALS
Over the month of March, RWB School Satellite Programs in St. Malo, Altona and Gimli held their annual recitals. Congratulations to Satellite program teachers, Jessica Spirito, Stacha Penner, Lisa Brooks and Alex Schade. Dancers from both the Professional Division and the Recreational Division had the opportunity to travel out to each community as guest performers. Thank you to the following Recreational Division students and choreographers who shared their talents with our Satellite Programs!
- “Cuban Pete” - Delaney Giesbrecht, Tap solo choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk
- “Something New” – Anna Radawetz, Jazz solo choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht
- “Walking on Sunshine” – Maia Saunders, Tap solo choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk
- “Hunter/Hunted” – Sophie Chen, Ballet Solo choreographed by Suzanne Andre
- “Bring on the Wonder” – Aisha Kunzig, Lyrical solo choreographed by Karin Giesbrecht
- “Boogie Shoes” - Hayley Yamamoto, Imani Smelsky-Rémillard, Jacqueline Thomson, Laura Phrakonkham, Tap small group choreographed by Julie Gregorchuk.
RD BOYS AND COMPANY MENTORSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Recreational Division and RWB Company is pleased to be able to offer a mentorship opportunity to boys currently registered in Level 1-4.
On Thursday, April 10th from 5:00-6:00pm the RWB Company will open their studio doors to young gentlemen from our Recreational Division and offer them the opportunity to work side by side. Male dancers from the company will provide a presentation for the students of their current work, followed by a question and answer period. The RD students will then have the opportunity to work on some of their favorite dance steps with a member of the company!
If your child is interested in participating in this exciting opportunity please contact our RWB School Office to register in advance. Registration is free of charge but space is limited and pre-registration is required by Saturday, April 5th.
INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM AUDITIONS
For students showing the ability and dedication for intensive training in classical ballet, the ITP provides a specialized training curriculum. Students prepare for ballet examinations in the Cecchetti Method. Regular ballet classes are supported with additional classes such as pointe, participation in the Dance Ensemble (performance group), conditioning and modern depending on the program level. Spring auditions are held annually for the Junior and Intermediate levels. Reacceptance into the program from year to year relies heavily on attendance and progress, as well as individual commitment and class professionalism throughout the previous year. Students are invited into the first level of the ITP, Pre-Intensive at the end of Level 4 ballet who have shown an ability for the program. Students who achieve a passing grade on their Intermediate, Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 exams will be automatically accepted into the next level should their attendance and commitment from the previous year be satisfactory.
Audition Date: Saturday, April 12, 2014
Junior II / Intermediate ITP
Levels 5B and up
3:30 - 5:00pm
Interested students are asked to pre-register for the audition through the RWB School Office, please note a parent’s signature is required at the time of registration.
JAZZ, TAP AND MUSICAL THEATRE DANCE ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS FOR 2014-2015
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet School’s Dance Ensemble represents the school at various events, competitions and dance festivals. Students are selected based on their talent, ability, commitment and attendance. All students wishing to become part of the 2014-2015 RWB School’s, Jazz, Tap or Musical Theatre Dance Ensembles will be required to attend an audition.
Accepted students will learn and perfect choreography within the RWB School Dance Ensemble class. Acceptance into the Dance Ensembles is by audition only with the exception of the Pre-Jazz Dance Ensembles which is by invitation only.
In order to participate in the Dance Ensemble classes, students must also be registered for the following classes in addition to the respective Dance Ensemble class:
Junior Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes, 2 jazz classes. Hip hop is strongly recommended.
Intermediate Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes, 2 jazz classes and hip hop. Lyrical Jazz is strongly recommended.
Senior Jazz: minimum of 2 ballet classes, 2 jazz classes. Hip hop and Lyrical Jazz are strongly recommended.
Junior, Intermediate and Senior Tap: minimum of 1 tap class and 1 Jazz or Ballet class.
Junior, Intermediate and Senior Musical Theatre: minimum of 1 Musical Theatre class and 1 Jazz, Tap or Ballet class.
The 2014-15 Dance Ensembles pull from the following 2013-14 levels, therefore please sign up for the appropriate level for the audition.
Audition Date: Sunday, April 13, 2014
|Musical Theatre||Age||Audition Time|
|Intermediate/Senior||Ages 13 and up*||9:00-10:00am|
* as of Dec. 31st, 2014
Audition Date: Sunday, May 4, 2014
|Tap||2013-14 Level||Audition Time|
|Junior||Levels 3 + 4||9:00-9:30 am|
|Intermediate||Levels 5 + 6||9:45-10:15 am|
|Senior||Levels 7 + 8||10:30-11:00 am|
|Jazz||2013-14 Level||Audition Time|
|Junior/Intermediate||Levels 4 - 7||11:15 - 12:00 pm|
|Senior||Level 8||12:15 - 1:15 pm|
Interested students are asked to pre-register for the audition through the RWB School Office. Please note, a parent’s signature is required at the time of registration.
DANCE INTENSIVE SUMMER CAMP
The RWB School’s Dance Intensive is a dynamic summer dance camp designed to give students ages 9-18 years the opportunity to express themselves artistically, meet other dancers as passionate about the art form as they are and to have fun, all while improving their technique and stamina. Dance Intensive 2014 will run from August 3-16, 2014.
For current RD students only:
10% Discount on Dance Intensive Tuition
50% Discount on Dance Intensive Residence & Meal Plan *NEW*
Don’t miss your chance to room with dancers from around the world, enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Residence dining hall and take in all of the planned and unplanned activities that Residence has to offer, all the while affording your parents the break they so rightly deserve. We strongly encourage current RD students to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to stay in the RWB School Residence at a fraction of the cost*.
Register now as this popular program always fills up quickly.
*Residence discount, subject to availability.
ADULT SUMMER DANCE: JUNE 30 - JULY 31
A program specially designed for our adult students, Adult Summer Dance 2014 provides an opportunity to try new dance classes with only a five-week commitment. It also provides our returning students the wonderful opportunity to continue honing their skills over the summer months. It’s a fun and great way to keep fit!
Information regarding classes offered, schedules and registration is all available through our School Office
MAD ABOUT BALLET, Annual Gala
On Saturday, April 12th Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet will be hosting our annual gala at the Delta Winnipeg, MAD ABOUT BALLET. It will be a captivating evening of elegance and dance. Recreational Division student Bryn Dubberley will be performing her demi-character solo “Little Red Riding Hood”, choreographed by Nicole Kepp, along side dancers from the Professional Division and the RWB Company.